These push pins in different colours, made in Italy, are part of our “Archivio” stationery collection, dedicated to Italian craftsmanship. Find all our other stationery items from this exceptional heritage here.
100 push pins per box.
Brass-plated steel body for better protection against rust.
Made in Italy.
Different colours available: white, black, blue, green, red, yellow, multicoloured or raw metal.
The history of push pins goes back a long way, with the first mention of this small metal object in the 1750s, in what would soon be the United States of America. The text mentioned their use in schools. Latter mentions of this object are also made as part of an architect’s toolkit of the time.
But it was not until 1900 that the first patent for the industrial production of push pins was filed, still in the USA.
The Dell’Era family, makers of the push pins we present here, have been working with metal to create all sorts of small metal objects for over six generations. When, in 1850, he founded the company that has borne his name for over a century and a half, Giuseppe dell’Era showed incredible intuition. Even then, he used the hydraulic power of the small river Gerenzone, which flows at the foot of his workshop, to operate it.
He transforms the raw material into long wires or metal strips, which he and his small team of craftsmen then process into various haberdashery and stationery items, their speciality. 170 years later, the success of their paper clips, brads, tacks and other metal accessories has not waned, and although Dell’Era is still a confidential brand outside of Italy, it is part of the collective imagination of the peninsula, where the small green boxes of its famous paper clips are well known.
According to this timeline, the company was among the first to produce push pins in Europe in the early 20th century.
The Dell’Era workshops are located at a short distance from those of our scissor makers, in a region naturally rich in steel, and where mining activity has been very present throughout history. Located at the foot of the Alps, a stone’s throw from Lake Como, Annone di Brianza, the small town of 2,300 inhabitants that houses this historic company, perpetuates the historical know-how of this region where ironworking dates back to the 13th century.